Summer on PCs - fridge mods

foodog@qwest.net foodog@qwest.net
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:11:24 -0700

  There are recurring threads on the Homebrew Digest about
modifying refrigerators to install tap handles, CO2 lines,
etc.  I recall the concensus being that drilling through the
door is safe, drilling through a side wall is _usually_
safe, just watch out for wiring and seal it up with caulk to
avoid moisture in the walls.

  If you go to HBD.ORG you can search the archives for
accurate info - the most knowledegable fridge guy signs his
posts "Forest Duddles", you might search on that.  There are
also various schemes for building a walk-in cooler, but if
you're not brewing* in there too that's probably overkill.

I don't see why you'd need to have airflow from outside
unless you're keeping penguins in there with the servers.
The problem I'd expect is having the cooling unit cycling
on/off more frequently than normal - you might help that by
adding a bunch of extra thermal mass such as 2L soda bottles
filled with water, or maybe beer...  I'd be worried about
condensation on/in the server(s) when you open the door.

Steve

*side note: if you can make soup from a recipe you can
probably brew better beer than most of what's commercially
available here'bouts.  See http://gunnbrew.com for an
excellent local shop.  No affiliation, I just hope he stays
in business until I'm ready to drop by again :-)