Summer on PCs

Kevin Saling networkpro@email.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:05:18 -0700

> Having said that, there was a thread on this list a while back about
> someone who wanted to run a machine in a fairly hot setting who wanted
> to figure out a way to cool just the machine...  I don't remember the
> outcome of the thread.  It seems to me you could just put your server
> in a frost-free dorm room refrigerator...

Hmm.  Maybe you were joking, but I've considered something similar.  I've
considered buying a used full-size refrigerator and fitting the inside with
some kind of shelving or racks for my servers.  Of course, it would require
an opening for wire bundles.  However, wouldn't it also require an opening
for airflow?  Then, if you draw in the hot air, wouldn't it overwork the
frig?  Granted, you wouldn't need it _cold_ inside.  Relatively cool would
be fine.  Also, what about moisture build up on the inside?  Anyway, is this
out of the realm of possibility?

...Kevin