My crusade for web content filtering

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:42:27 -0700

This is a big problem.

I have a large list of domains banned from my Public Proxy due to crack attempts
on the proxy and the server it runs on.
I *cannot* publish this list or reveal any details about the blocking until
a customer/user contacts me and asks directly if they are being blocked.

I would prefer to shame the providers but some of the attacks come from
countries that have no laws against system probes and of course there is the
liability of calling a network a Cracker Haven[tm].

JLF Sends...
You will pay for your sins.
If you have already paid, please disregard this message.

It seems like on Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 06:35:10PM -0700, plug@arcticmail.com scribbled:
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Isn't the point of keeping the alleged evil list secret
Orig Msg> to avoid a lawsuit by each alleged evil entity against
Orig Msg> the entity which created/maintains the alleged evil list?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> If this is true, shouldn't JLF call The Weasel(TM)
Orig Msg> (1-800-WEASEL) and collect $12.7M for his pain,
Orig Msg> suffering, emotional distress, loss of business,
Orig Msg> bit damages, defamation...?  :)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> D
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> The FBI Carnivore system stumbled upon a series of PGP/GPG
Orig Msg> encrypted e-mails and autodecrypted them without so much
Orig Msg> as a hiccup.  It laughed.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Sorry, couldn't resist!  :)
Orig Msg>