[PLUG-Devel] mifi

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Sat May 16 01:05:52 MST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 16:43 -0700, Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
>> Ed,
>>
>> What is an IDE? What distribution?  I am working on the BlenderCAD
>> project.  My efforts in that project include trying to get a few local
>> linux people together to help me build a web page and manage the
>> project.  The project goal is to take the Blender source code and
>> strip it of the annimation tools and keep the engine.  Then write cad
>> or cnc type tools creating a full featured CAD software.  This idea is
>> similar to what AutoDesk does with 3DS Studio Max and AutoCAD.  The
>> tools are very different, however, they share the same engine.
> ----
> IDE - Integrated Development Environment
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment
>
> I am sort of scratching my head here. I can understand why you might
> want to have some sort of development SIG and it may very well be useful
> and fruitful.
>
> But what has driven open source development are things like sourceforge
> (and many others) with hosted versioning software so many people can
> 'check out' the current versions, offer patches/revisions, and the
> Internet with things like irc, gnome-meeting, etc. which minimize if not
> eliminate the barriers of space and time and provide an environment for
> rapid paced development and integration.
>
> Perhaps it's just my own experiences that most of the time in
> face-to-face meetings is wasted and while it may be good for some
> things, it's often counter productive to software development.
>
> Craig
>

> --

Craig - think of it as a tour, a peak past the curtain, the idea is to
expose the group to various aspects of development, of which IDEs are
a part - I thought it would be interesting to hear how developers use
their tools, even if you want to claim vi or emacs as your IDE, how
they link to your code management system would be interesting etc  I
was hoping to get a good variety of non-Eclipse stories* (the PHJUG is
an active group and I would think a better source for those interested
in Java IDEs. but I'm not picky) even if Eclipse is used in all sorts
of development environments - for example there is a big push to make
it the IDE for embedded devices. Or is that to add embedded devices
IDE to all the other things Eclipse works as an IDE.

um - the only meetings that need IDEs are code sprints - I hope...
*just added Geany (pythonIDE) to my Nokia N800, so now I guess I can
take my development IDE into almost any meeting - so long as I'm quiet

In any case it is one of many topics and we are always looking for
presentations - I've got a nice story about a developers struggles to
get a free software package into the Fedora repositories - what a
plot!! real sturm und drang.... ;)

Matthew - by distribution, i am refering to that day when BlenderCAD
is good enough to shove out into the real world for users to play with
- it is a very involved process that starts when you pick the
versioning scheme (a number), what you pick for building and testing,
how you are going to authenticate the code as yours (key signing) and
how you are going to make it available - RPM, deb, tar.gz etc etc -
that's only a start, and since you are ghosting another project,
Blender3D, you will have a whole other batch, dare I say patch, of
issues  - all of which we at PLUGdev look forward to hearing about -
hint hint.

Ed