[PLUG-Devel] Linux Twitter Command Line Updates

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat May 9 13:26:37 MST 2009

Easy Twittering:

In Ubuntu, install curl with apt-get install curl, then create a file
paste the line below into it, modify the username and password
strings:

curl --basic --user "username:password" --data-ascii "status=`echo
$@|tr ' ' '+'`" "http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json"

Save or copy the file into /usr/bin, and you’re done.

$ /usr/sbin/twit Time to head over to the PLUG Meeting in Tempe

You can also follow updates (name it plugtweet):

!/bin/bash
while :
do
curl -s http://twitter.com/statuses/public_timeline.xml | sed -ne
'/<text/s<\/*text>//gp'
sleep 10
done
exit
Next, make this script executable. Then, run it using the command:
./plugtweet

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Bear Wadleigh <bearlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been a walking wifi access point for over a year using a
> cradlepoint phs300 and a sprint mobile broadband modem(Novatel U727)
> it's not as compact but works great. You can have as many devices
> connected as you want intead of just 5. Works with any carrier. Only
> real downside is battery life and price.
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Mitch Frazier <mitch at linuxjournal.com>
> wrote:
> > We were talking about getting wifi in the forest last night.  Here's a
> > new device that might be useful, a bit pricey perhaps.
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/technology/personaltech/07pogue.html?_r=2&em

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand