[PLUG-Devel] mifi

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu May 14 16:59:59 MST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 16:43 -0700, Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
> Ed,
>
> What is an IDE? What distribution?  I am working on the BlenderCAD
> project.  My efforts in that project include trying to get a few local
> linux people together to help me build a web page and manage the
> project.  The project goal is to take the Blender source code and
> strip it of the annimation tools and keep the engine.  Then write cad
> or cnc type tools creating a full featured CAD software.  This idea is
> similar to what AutoDesk does with 3DS Studio Max and AutoCAD.  The
> tools are very different, however, they share the same engine.
----
IDE - Integrated Development Environment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

I am sort of scratching my head here. I can understand why you might
want to have some sort of development SIG and it may very well be useful
and fruitful.

But what has driven open source development are things like sourceforge
(and many others) with hosted versioning software so many people can
'check out' the current versions, offer patches/revisions, and the
Internet with things like irc, gnome-meeting, etc. which minimize if not
eliminate the barriers of space and time and provide an environment for
rapid paced development and integration.

Perhaps it's just my own experiences that most of the time in
face-to-face meetings is wasted and while it may be good for some
things, it's often counter productive to software development.

Craig

believed to be clean.