[PLUG-Devel] OT: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Sep 16 07:49:14 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 07:21 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:

> > > Gosh. To hear Git described as legacy makes me feel really old. Like
> > > hearing Nirvana on an oldies radio station.
> >
> > Well, I was meaning that they chose it because it was a tool that they
> > knew.  Or they're hosted on Freedesktop.org which provides Git hosting.
> > Not because they made an evaluation of features.  I wouldn't consider
> > Git legacy software in general, it's being actively developed and worked
> > on.  Though, I'm pretty sure the Bazaar guys would love me if I could
> > get that meme started ;)
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Would it be good if Bazaar got all the market
> share, and Git, Darcs, and Mercurial went away? It doesn't seem like it
> to me, but that seems to be a common attitude in open source lately.
> Would you mind explaining what you meant some more, since I'm having
> trouble understanding?

All I'm trying to say is that a lot of people come up to me and say "Git
is better because project X uses Git."  I'm trying to say that project X
may not be using Git for the reason that they've determined that it's
better.  There are many reasons that projects have chosen Git.  (like
any choice in an organization of people)

		--Ted