[PLUG-Devel] OT: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Sep 16 07:21:23 MST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 08:27:18AM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> Well, if you do straight line development and never rename or move
> directories, sure.  Those are important features to me.  Also being able
> to diff without hitting a server.  Man, I do not miss CVS.  Branches
> also sucked bad.

This is kinda my point. CVS is ancient and creaky. SVN is CVS with a
couple of things fixed, but doesn't really reflect the way the
development world has changed since the heyday of CVS.

> > > That is interesting, but I'd really say that there are only about two
> > > DVCSes left.  The others are being developed, but their communities are
> > > shrinking.  The two are Bazaar and Git.
> >
> > I'd rather try something based on it's features, robustness, etc., as
> > long as there's *enough* of a community. There's room for more than one
> > version control system. Especially since projects differ so much in
> > their needs and how developers interact.
>
> I would say that the Bazaar community is large.  If nothing else the
> target for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope is to get all of the source code used
> in Ubuntu into Bazaar.  I doubt _all_ will happen, but there'll be a
> significant amount there.

Sure. But for me, as long as there's enough community for continued
development and support I'm fine with it. I don't feel the need to be
using the project with the largest community. I also don't think
everyone should be using whatever tools I use.

> > > Personally I find Bazaar easier to use with more tools, but Git has more
> > > big projects using it (Linux Kernel, X, fd.o, etc.)  Personally, I think
> > > that's more for legacy reasons than technical ones, YMMV.
> >
> > Gosh. To hear Git described as legacy makes me feel really old. Like
> > hearing Nirvana on an oldies radio station.
>
> Well, I was meaning that they chose it because it was a tool that they
> knew.  Or they're hosted on Freedesktop.org which provides Git hosting.
> Not because they made an evaluation of features.  I wouldn't consider
> Git legacy software in general, it's being actively developed and worked
> on.  Though, I'm pretty sure the Bazaar guys would love me if I could
> get that meme started ;)

I'm not sure I understand. Would it be good if Bazaar got all the market
share, and Git, Darcs, and Mercurial went away? It doesn't seem like it
to me, but that seems to be a common attitude in open source lately.
Would you mind explaining what you meant some more, since I'm having
trouble understanding?

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/