[PLUG-Devel] OT: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Sep 16 06:27:18 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 06:08 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:00:42PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> > I'll say that once you go DVCS (Distributed VCS) you'll never go back.
> > There is so much crazy stuff I do now that I wouldn't even think about
> > doing with something like SVN or *shutter* CVS.
>
> I've never understood the appeal of SVN. I've used it a few times for
> some projects, but there's nothing compelling about it. Might as well
> use CVS as SVN.

Well, if you do straight line development and never rename or move
directories, sure.  Those are important features to me.  Also being able
to diff without hitting a server.  Man, I do not miss CVS.  Branches
also sucked bad.

> > That is interesting, but I'd really say that there are only about two
> > DVCSes left.  The others are being developed, but their communities are
> > shrinking.  The two are Bazaar and Git.
>
> I'd rather try something based on it's features, robustness, etc., as
> long as there's *enough* of a community. There's room for more than one
> version control system. Especially since projects differ so much in
> their needs and how developers interact.

I would say that the Bazaar community is large.  If nothing else the
target for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope is to get all of the source code used
in Ubuntu into Bazaar.  I doubt _all_ will happen, but there'll be a
significant amount there.

> > Personally I find Bazaar easier to use with more tools, but Git has more
> > big projects using it (Linux Kernel, X, fd.o, etc.)  Personally, I think
> > that's more for legacy reasons than technical ones, YMMV.
>
> Gosh. To hear Git described as legacy makes me feel really old. Like
> hearing Nirvana on an oldies radio station.

Well, I was meaning that they chose it because it was a tool that they
knew.  Or they're hosted on Freedesktop.org which provides Git hosting.
Not because they made an evaluation of features.  I wouldn't consider
Git legacy software in general, it's being actively developed and worked
on.  Though, I'm pretty sure the Bazaar guys would love me if I could
get that meme started ;)

		--Ted