[PLUG-Devel] OT: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Sep 16 06:08:28 MST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:00:42PM -0500, Ted Gould wrote:
> I'll say that once you go DVCS (Distributed VCS) you'll never go back.
> There is so much crazy stuff I do now that I wouldn't even think about
> doing with something like SVN or *shutter* CVS.

I've never understood the appeal of SVN. I've used it a few times for
some projects, but there's nothing compelling about it. Might as well
use CVS as SVN.

> > For the curious about version control, especially distributed version
> > control, I found
> > http://versioncontrolblog.com/comparison/Arch/Bazaar/Darcs/Mercurial/Monotone/index.html
> > to be interesting.
>
> That is interesting, but I'd really say that there are only about two
> DVCSes left.  The others are being developed, but their communities are
> shrinking.  The two are Bazaar and Git.

I'd rather try something based on it's features, robustness, etc., as
long as there's *enough* of a community. There's room for more than one
version control system. Especially since projects differ so much in
their needs and how developers interact.

Once I had to use DARCS to submit some patches for a little open source
project. I grumbled about having to install YET ANOTHER vcs, but by the
time I'd sent my patches I had to admit it was probably a good choice
for that project. It fit with their development model quite well. I
haven't used it since, but I no longer write it off as an oddity.

For my personal stuff I'm leaning toward Mercurial. It's pretty nice, as
far as I can tell at this point.

> Personally I find Bazaar easier to use with more tools, but Git has more
> big projects using it (Linux Kernel, X, fd.o, etc.)  Personally, I think
> that's more for legacy reasons than technical ones, YMMV.

Gosh. To hear Git described as legacy makes me feel really old. Like
hearing Nirvana on an oldies radio station.

I've never used Git, but I've heard a lot of grumbling from others,
while the only good things they've said have been about distributed
stuff that's in other dvcs apps.

> Full disclosure: I work for Canonical, and we sponsor the development of
> Bazaar.  But, I use it for my hobby projects also.

Good. It's good if you want to use what your company produces! Not out
of loyalty but because you like the products! :)

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/