[PLUG-Devel] OT: sourceforge or codeplex or googlecode for OSS hosting

Josh Coffman josh at computeristsolutions.com
Tue Sep 16 08:34:00 MST 2008

> All I'm trying to say is that a lot of people come up to me and say "Git
> is better because project X uses Git."  I'm trying to say that project X
> may not be using Git for the reason that they've determined that it's
> better.  There are many reasons that projects have chosen Git.  (like
> any choice in an organization of people)
>
>                --Ted

I've use Visual Source (Not)Safe, Clear Case, CVS, and Subversion.  My
current client uses CVS and I've gotten quite used to how to work with
it.  I use subversion for non-client stuff, and that works perfect
because its just me mostly.  It also has a good windows gui client
(TortoiseSVN; there is also a TortoiseCVS).

I think the reason I've been happy with Subversion is because it fits
my need.  I have multiple machines, but only me as a user.  As long as
I have stuff committed, I can get and work on stuff wherever I need
it.  I don't know if I would be as happy with it for so many more
devs, but there is a large team at my client all using CVS and its
worked OK.

I have been interested in Mercurial though.  From what I read its
faster and lighter than GIT.  ..don't quote me on that; its been a few
months since I read about it.

-j

--
Josh | josh at computeristsolutions.com | http://computeristsolutions.com