[PLUG-Devel] rails and sending email

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 19 19:43:32 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 22:49 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> Aha! got it.
> my ActionMailer settings were in the wrong place, hence the webrick
> error.
> I move them to th bottom (which some were in the |config| loop), and
> restarted webrick.
>
> Along with setting the cox smtp for sendmail, it now works.
>
> Many thanks to all, and especially Craig.
>
> on to unit testing,
----
AWDWR for unit testing
----
>  db migration
----
this is a must to get understanding of early in development process.
Like Rails itself, it is harder to get going if you have some legacy
database that you are trying to adapt to rails and pretty easy to get
going if you are starting from scratch.
----
> , and Inversion of Control.
----
inversion of control? Was that tongue in cheek?

Actually, I already wrote to you but for the benefit of any others on
this list who might be interested in integrating subversion with rails,
see
http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2006/03/09/subversion-primer-for-rails-projects
----
>  I should then know all the basics for writing a rails app.
----
yeah - it's that easy...  ;-)

Definitely recommend (as time, energy, understanding permits)

- Ruby 'Pickaxe'
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html
  Best Ruby language reference available

- Rails Recipes by Chad Fowler ($20 PDF download from publishers of
AWDWR)
  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/index.html
  really useful stuff

and of course,
- AWDWR itself (Agile Web Development With Rails) - the Rails Bible
  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails2/index.html

Pragmatic Programming just dominates Ruby/Rails publishing titles

Craig