[PLUG-Devel] rails and sending email

Josh Coffman joshcoffman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:06:30 MST 2007

On 9/19/07, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 22:49 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> > Aha! got it.
> > my ActionMailer settings were in the wrong place, hence the webrick
> > error.
> > I move them to th bottom (which some were in the |config| loop), and
> > restarted webrick.
> >
> > Along with setting the cox smtp for sendmail, it now works.
> >
> > Many thanks to all, and especially Craig.
> >
> > on to unit testing,
> ----
> AWDWR for unit testing
> ----
> >  db migration
> ----
> this is a must to get understanding of early in development process.
> Like Rails itself, it is harder to get going if you have some legacy
> database that you are trying to adapt to rails and pretty easy to get
> going if you are starting from scratch.
> ----
> > , and Inversion of Control.
> ----
> inversion of control? Was that tongue in cheek?
>
> Actually, I already wrote to you but for the benefit of any others on
> this list who might be interested in integrating subversion with rails,
> see
>
> http://blog.teksol.info/articles/2006/03/09/subversion-primer-for-rails-projects
> ----
> >  I should then know all the basics for writing a rails app.
> ----
> yeah - it's that easy...  ;-)

I'm not sure if you don't think Inversion of Control (Dependency Injection)
applies to rails, but I've already read some from people who are using it to
enable mocking in their unit tests.

Or maybe you thought I was talking about subversion source control...

Either way, your tips are greatly appreciated. I will be referring to the
svn article soon. I think unit testing and db migration are next up. I've
just been throwing things around at this point, and don't have any
significant db stuff. just two tables from example articles: people & phones
tables.

I've gotten no less than 6 recommends for the Agile Rails book. I'll have to
pick it up soon.

Definitely recommend (as time, energy, understanding permits)