[PLUG-Devel] next Thursday's dev meeting (fwd)

der.hans PLUG at LuftHans.com
Fri Aug 31 13:28:32 MST 2007

Am 31. Aug, 2007 schwätzte Austin Godber so:

> Well, realistically, I could split what I wanted to do up into parts.
> Start off with an overview of virtualization and then a HOWTO on one of
> the virtualization platforms.  Then I could follow up at other meetings
> (DEV, EAST, WEST) with additional platforms.

That would be great, especially if you'd do west side presentations!

> I could do VMware, Xen, or OpenVZ to start with, maybe KVM.

Sounds great to me. I know a couple of people we should be able to pull in
to attend specifically for some of those topics.

> That might be overall better so rather than tackling one monolithic
> presentation ("to rule them all") I can just do it in parts.  I imagine
> I can blab on for 30min to an hour on any of these topics, plus my

Cool. Yeah, we'd like 30 minuteish presentations, so we can handle the
magazine format.

> normal pratfall routine ... wow, pratfall is in Thunderbird's dictionary.

But what about Prattfall, which describes the course of a well-known rock
dj moving to a country station? :)

> Anyone have any requests?

An overview of the projects and comparisons would be great. HOWTOs on each
of them would be awesome.

Are there any pre-requisites or other technologies that you think would be
good to cover? For instance, do any of them depend on LVM or SRV records
or building specilized kernels? Do they mask the work behind bridging the
networking and talking to virtual hardware?

If there are other pieces of knowledge that will help we can try to find
someone to cover those items as well.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I decry the current tendency to seek patents on algorithms.  There are
#  better ways to earn a living than to prevent other people from making use
#  of one's contributions to computer science."  -- Donald E. Knuth