[PLUG-Devel] Latest Word on Content Managers?

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel at stcaz.net
Wed Aug 29 20:32:34 MST 2007

Just a couple of small adjustments:
1) GWT is a tool for developing client-side AJAX apps using Java, not a CMS, and it does not provide any server-side support.
2) GWT is available under Apache 2.0, not BSD
3) OpenCMS is highly comparable to Drupal or other PHP-based CMS's, although each CMS has it's own feature set, with it's own strengths and weaknesses.
4) There are actually more Java-based FOSS solutions than PHP ones, they're just not as well publicized ;P
5) Obfuscation is of very limited value, GWT does it for code-size reduction more than anything else, and you can turn it off if you like.

Not saying you shouldn't use GWT, it's an incredible toolkit, and the latest version (1.4) has a couple highly compelling new features (and a significant performance improvement to the JS code).  I'm just saying it isn't what the OP asked for.