[PLUG-Devel] Latest Word on Content Managers?

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 16:54:54 MST 2007

  Victor,

    If you are building a web app with Java, I highly recommend building
with GWT.  The other Java CMSs recommended in this thread do not have a very
healthy community.  GWT was recently relicensed under BSD, which offers
liberal provisions for commercial apps.  You can also /obfuscate/ your
client side code which is a huge advantage.  There is also the ongoing
financial stimulus provided by Google that fosters ongoing development.

    I have yet to find anything comparable to Drupal or Joomla in Java.  The
Java world has a tendency to have fairly sparse offerings in this area for
some reason.  I attribute it to the fact that it is difficult to obfuscate
code in PHP, so pure open source apps make more sense.

  -jmz

On 8/24/07, vodhner at cox.net <vodhner at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi, Strangers!
>
> I am tasked with updating a departmental web site for software developers
> on our Solaris platform.  This will be FOSS based.  I will not a lot of time
> to spend on it, and I want to make it easy for others to hack on it too.
>
> I'm thinking I should learn something about content managers now.  The
> current rambling implementation has a lot of hand-coded pages, with Apache,
> PHP4 and resin components, mostly four to eight years old.  I need to
> simplify this.
>
> We are becoming largely a Java-focused shop (though I'm still mostly a C
> and Perl guy), so  that could influence some of my decisions -- since I want
> co-workers to be able to help support this.
>
> The goal is to minimize maintenance costs, and make it simple to organize
> a bunch of miscellaneous resources online.  So I'm really just looking for a
> pretty simple page builder that co-workers can add entries to.  We'll be
> pointing at some other applications, but those will be in their own virtual
> domains.
>
> A form-based data organizer might be very handy.  For starters, we want to
> re-do our employee profile section which includes vacation schedules.
>
> Efficiency is of very little concern.  We'll have only a few dozen users,
> typically only one or two at a time, hit and run access.  We're on a Solaris
> platform.
>
> So my question is simple.  What comes up quick and pays off with minimum
> effort?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victor

.0000. communication.