[PLUG-Devel] Planning the September "Robots" topic

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Aug 28 22:50:54 MST 2007

Harold,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

Harold Michels wrote:
> Robots sounds interesting.
>
> Unfortunately I do not yet know if I will be able to participate or not.

Come on down!

> I also have not been able to get the demo to run on my system (No java),
> however it looks like core wars on steroids. How can you go wrong?

Maybe it can't.  I have a habit of being the "fill-in" presenter at the
Devel Meetings.  This is due to either not actively pursuing presenters
or because other presenters don't step up.  I don't mind doing it except
that the quality of the presentation can't be that good when I'm up
there stumbling around a subject I don't know well.

Stumbling around in Robocode may not be too bad but, I just don't think
I'd want to be in the audience watching me teach myself more about it.
If I would not enjoy it so much, I can't expect others to be impressed
by it.

I started talking about this one, with a topic lined up a full month in
advance.  You'd think something would have pulled together in that time.

> Since I do not know what you have covered in the past I am not in a
> position to offer suggestions. I personally am working on trying to
> figure out some very basic things about working in the Linux environment
> so for me anything is good.

Offer suggestions.  We cover some topics several times as long as there
is a different view-point.  If you (or anyone listening in) has
experience with any developer concept, tool or technology that can be
applied to developing for or on Linux, it's fair game.  In that past we
have done scrum, design patterns, code analysis tools and version
control processes.  These are platform agnostic and therefore fair game
for use with Linux.

> Have you thoroughly dealt with all that is needed for moving the web and
> Wiki project along? Would that be an alternative and then give Robocode
> another month to get things in line?

The group web project has several volunteers in key positions and mostly
needs content contributions from the members.  Any further efforts there
are more administrative tasks, not coding.  Although we need our own
theme or at least further customization of the one we are using.  That
can be close to coding, depending on how deep one would want to go.

Today is 9 days to the meeting.  Maybe someone will step up to do
something.  Maybe the threat of another "Alan stumbles through
something" session will get someone to take action!  ;^)
  If not, I'll happily lead a stumble session!