Thin or Thick Client [was] EPP [snip]

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Mar 14 20:57:02 2005

--------------020200020808070306000401

I expect that we'll have to ask those who want/need a local application
to wait for release 2.  We need to create a first-class networked event
planning system first.  Once that's been released, we can spend the next
release creating an independent/offline client that can plan basic
events locally, and/or act as a disconnected client to the larger system
to plan portions of a broader event.  I would consider reversing the
order of those two releases, but I don't think that approach will result
in the kind of broad integration that's needed for the intranet/internet
portion of the overall solution.

Trent Shipley wrote:

>On Saturday 2005-03-12 14:04, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>

>>Trent Shipley wrote:
>>

>>>So it is an application designed to minimize the load on enterprise sys
>>>admins.
>>>

>>The WebStart-like technologies allow the developer to build an
>>application for local use without worrying(much) about the network,
>>while allowing the deployer/packager to easily manage changes and the
>>deployment of fixes without user interaction required.
>>

>>>When do we need to cross this bridge?
>>>

>>When someone requests the offline/near-line client capability and
>>someone volunteers to build that functionality.
>>

>I'm with Bryan.
>
>I expect that user scenario will come up fast.  As soon as I talk to an
>independent wedding planner, campaign manager, or what have you, they are
>immediately going to tell me that they want to run the application on their
>laptop.  MAYBE they will want it on a desk top and a lap top that they synch
>up on occasion.
>
>What are the trade offs?
>
>Can the same tool satisfy an independent promoter and run on the intranet of
>Walt Disney's theme park division?

--------------020200020808070306000401

<head>
</head>
a local application to wait for release 2.  We need to create a
first-class networked event planning system first.  Once that's been
released, we can spend the next release creating an independent/offline
client that can plan basic events locally, and/or act as a disconnected
client to the larger system to plan portions of a broader event.  I
would consider reversing the order of those two releases, but I don't
think that approach will result in the kind of broad integration that's
needed for the intranet/internet portion of the overall solution.</font><br>
Trent Shipley wrote:
      <pre wrap="">So it is an application designed to minimize the load on enterprise sys
admins.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The WebStart-like technologies allow the developer to build an
application for local use without worrying(much) about the network,
while allowing the deployer/packager to easily manage changes and the
deployment of fixes without user interaction required.

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">When do we need to cross this bridge?
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">When someone requests the offline/near-line client capability and