Thin or Thick Client [was] EPP [snip]

plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Mar 14 13:03:02 2005

I agree with what you have to say, however I believe it should be viewed in a
technologically neutral manor (I see LAMP mentioned again ;)

First, I firmly agree with your requirements comment.  We should be much more
flexible, but we still need goal posts and a clear path to follow.  Sort of it
does not need to be laid out in feet, or yards, but it still needs to be laid
out.

Second:
N-Tier means many things to many people.  I think it is the division of
functional models, that are then further divided into Data, Logic, and
Presentation layers.

I relies that as programmers it is difficult to divorce our selves from the
building blocks of the app, but remember what we need first to come up with
the high level design (Architectural Drawings) and then fit the low-lever
design to match (Engineering drawings).  As long as we see the different
phases as additions in the high-level and adhere to it in the low-level, the
we should have no problems.

(I may have miss understood this, but)
As for LAMP, as a data center, why not use MySQL, as for Thin Client, why make
the server and net work so hard?  Thick clients or DDA's (Data Divorced
Applications) are just as viable solutions  We have not even agreed to what
the functionality should be yet, let alone built a high level model on how
that functionality is to be divided up.

These are just my 2 cents
And may be way off the mark