Thin or Thick Client [was] EPP [snip]

Trent Shipley plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Mar 14 12:17:02 2005

1) First in terms of EPPP, we juniors are operating under the Gordon-Sinclair
Sofware Requirements Scepticism.  Software "Engineering" inherited
requirements from other, less plastic, engineering disciplines.  For example,
in civil engineering requirements are REALLY requirements.  Dams must not
break and bridges must not fall.  The same is _seldom_ true of software
requirements.  In the main, software requirements exist to reduce business
risk.  On a fixed price contract the vendor can stop a pushy customer.  On a
cost-plus contract a customer can stop gold plating.  In any event,
requirements show moving goal posts.

I have to agree with Gordon-Sinclair.  For most software project _per se_
requirements are, at best, a necessary evil.  Since EPPP lacks strong
customer-vendor political economics, can move goals and schedules at will,
and is not producing safety critical software, EPP should not be based on
requirements.

Nevertheless, like any project, it does need goals, structure, and relevant
grounded business research.

Right now, our armchair expectation is that the consumer base will want 3
modes of operation.

1) Typical small user.

Put EVERYTHING on a laptop or desktop.
This user will be confused if EPP does not seem to be a 1-tier workstation
solution.

2) Walt Disney enterprise.

Put stuff on a highly managed intranet.  This user wants to see an n-tier
solution with lots of application management options.  For most internal end
consumers, they prefer a thin client.  Some functions may show up on public
internet sites (like reservation or ticketing systems).

3) Walt Disney power user employee.

This user wants to use EPP functionality offline from their laptop, but also
wants to dock and work with the corporate intranet.  (Application level thick
client.)

==========

I have seen this done before.  What my seniors have done is to EITHER throw
out the thin or thick client solution for #2|#3 (this is no longer
technically necessary).

More importantly, for #1 they do just what you object to in my earlier LAMP
proposal (admittedly based on a miscommunication with JS).  Namely, they
create LOGICAL objects in the topology.  All objects communicate by TCP.
Then you build an autoinstaller for case #1.   The autoinstaller installs the
same parts that it would for case #2, but in a least-common-denominator
default mode for case #1.  Thus, case #1 is still an n-tier system, it uses
up A LOT more resources than a progam designed to run as on workstation (but
that is OK, the workstation has plenty of power for the code bloat).  As long
as the consumer is satisfied with the default install all is well.  The
consumer can think of what is really an n-tier topology as a 1-tier
workstation application.

But both Brian and Joseph have said that they do not want to do what was
described in the above paragraph.

<point>
I am still not satisfied that you satisfy case #1 && case #2 && use a single
integrated architecture && not simply resort to the unaesthetic but obvious
solution of case #1 as a trivial instance of case #2.
</point>