Forcasting PEP consumers [was]: [snip] Event Planner Project [was]Re: Event Planning Project

Joseph Sinclair plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri Mar 11 22:04:02 2005

Bryan,
    We most certainly will not be doing any of the first 18 things in
your list, and the remainder will be considerably smaller than you're
thinking.  The reason being that it turns out they aren't a good idea in
many cases, including, I think, this one.  For a LOT of information
regarding what is wrong with heavyweight methodologies (What you have
here is a list of the artifacts produced by heavyweight methodologies,
mostly large-scale RUP) take a look at www.xprogramming.com,
www.extremeprogramming.org, agilemanifesto.org, and
alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/crystal.html for a small sample of
information on lightweight methodologies.
Take a look at the Apache projects, or Eclipse or Debian, or a host of
other open source projects, you will be very hard pressed to find much,
if any, of the artifacts in your list, and (nearly)all of those projects
may be considered highly successful in the open source community.  Open
source doesn't work well with heavyweight methodologies, so it's
extremely rare to see them put together.  I'm hoping to see a
lightweight/agile approach used here, as it provides the disciplined
framework needed for successful results, while avoiding the heavy
overhead that would kill the project.