June meeting topic

Ted Gould plug-devel@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon Apr 21 23:19:02 2003

--=-9MtQjSVVfN5StkJZV2fA

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 20:59, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> - Embedded Systems Development With MontaVista Linux

Sounds interesting.

> - Migrating Device Drivers to 2.5/2.6

Sounds okay, probably something I'd never do, but it would be
interesting to see the design changes from 2.5 to 2.6.

> - ???
>=20
>   I'm open to suggestions.  I'm willing to do some research if
>   it's something that I'm interested in and related to my area
>   of expertise.

Well, what's your area of expertise?

Something that sounds like it might be related would be a comparison of
using embedded Linux and Win CE or VxWorks.  It would be interesting to
see how Linux compares to the other big two.  I don't know if that is
more a MontaVista marketing presentation thou...

Another thing that I think might be interesting (and I don't know if
your the person for it, but I'll through it out there) would be a
discussion of developing for different architectures (MIPS, PPC, x86,
ARM...) and what effects that has on code.  I would be interested in
even the differences of their boot code and memory maps, but I don't
know if that is really a Linux related topic.  I'd find it interesting.

A presentation that I was thinking about volunteering would be to do a
one hour introduction to computer architecture.  Like really take apart
a modern RISC pipeline and kinda explain how it all works.  Ofcourse, it
couldn't be too in depth, but I think that I could pull off a reasonable
overview that would help people code in an hour or so.  I could probably
also go into the memory hierarchy and some caching methods.  Comments?=20
Ideas?  Would that be interesting to anyone besides me?

		--Ted

--=-9MtQjSVVfN5StkJZV2fA

--=-9MtQjSVVfN5StkJZV2fA--