high vs low level programming

Gorman, John John.Gorman@pegs.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 07:35:01 -0700

I am what you call a low-level hacker. Actually I started out with
about 15 years coding COBOL on a mainframe, then for the past 6 years
I have been coding in C on a unix environment.

I definitely like learning and knowing how things work from the inside out.
When I first started using unix, in order to teach myself how things worked
I wrote my own version of a lot of the system utilities (df, du, ls, ...)
and then ported them to each platform I had the opportunity top work on.
It was a great learning experience.

While I definitely consider myself a C/Unix person, I feel that the
future is in the internet, so I have been spending a lot of time writing
web applications at home and work (PHP, JavaScript,...)

I have tried several times to get into Java, but for some reason I
never stick with it. We are started to use it here, and are running into
performance and garbage collection problems.

I agree with you that people who have a good understanding of the low
level languages are able to grasp the high level languages and understand
the impact to doing certain things.

John Gorman