high vs low level programming

Rob Wehrli rwehrli@azpower.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:23:35 -0700

On Wednesday, March 07, 2001 12:20 AM, Deepak Saxena
[SMTP:deepak@csociety.purdue.edu] wrote:

> I decided to look through the archives for this list and seems

Please excuse my "M$ Outlook" reply...I'm traveling using a company laptop
with...ugg, Windows 98!

> How many people here are low level hackers

Add me to your list of both low level and high level.  As the principle
behind the MyLinux Pocket Linux Workstation project and author of "Linux
Embedded Programming" (due out August/2001) I have some familiarity with
low-level Linux.  See our http://www.azpower.com/mylinux page at the bottom
for a photo of our PLW boards...  A few months ago I met with Jim Ready to
talk about software...it didn't seem to go anywhere.

> What's other people experiences with different levels of software
development?

Well, I've been involved with asm to xml and beyond...but I'm not the
world's greatest anything :)

> What about those that have started with one and gone the other way?

I started with BASIC on a Z80-based TRS-80 about 1977-ish.  Why not
continue this discussion over the next PLUG meeting.  I'm trying to attend
this meeting since I haven't yet had a chance to be at one.

> lever coder to a high level one than vice versa.  What I've noted
> is that a lot of high level programmers haven't had the exposure
> to hardware concepts and that makes it really hard to grasp
> how the code actually maps to hardware bits.

Understatement of the year!  A lot of high-level people don't realize a lot
of what goe on "under the hood" of their screaming Pentium workhorse.  A
lot of low-level people have never considered how useful interface
inheritance can be!

> Comments, flames?
>
> g'night,
> ~Deepak
>
> --
> Deepak Saxena - deepak@csociety.purdue.edu - phone://602.790.0500
>
> Code Monkey, MontaVista Software, Inc. - THE Embedded Linux Experts

(The "self-proclaimed" experts?  ...seriously, I know that they have a lot
of good talent, but hey, who are they trying to convince?)

Take Care.

Rob!