Re: WiFi router recommendations.

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: WiFi router recommendations.
the setup I am currently running, and really happy with.

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite - Edge device, dhcp and the like
24 port switch (Under utilized but its what i had) running the "core" of
everything
Netgear Nighthawk Wifi/Router in WiFi AP Mode
8 port switch connected via ethernet in the living room
4 port switch connected via ethernet in the dining room
Old Wireless N router connected via ethernet in the bedroom (Tomato running
wifi AP mode)

I tried using the Nighthawk as an edge device and wifi, but with the
Gigabit network and some of the nat routing i do it was failing pretty hard
so i put back the ubiquity device and let the nighthawk run just wifi.

The nighthawk is a good wifi device, stable and Costco has it on sale for
169 right now.
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7900.aspx

The edgerouter lite is a 90-100 dollar device, and worth every penny.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Carruth, Rusty <>
wrote:

> Ok, at the risk of getting flamed, here’s a pretty much completely
> non-Linux-related question (well, ok, other than the fact that I have NO
> windows boxes in my house J):
>

> I’ve got a WiFi router in the house that every once in a while burps. I
> had a second one (downstairs) to improve coverage, but it died.
>

> So, now I need to buy a replacement for the downstairs router.
>
> My network topology is basically: Cable -> cable modem -> Cisco
> firewall/router -> WiFi router -> the house wired network and wireless
> network
>
> I’ve got 2 printers (one or both may be wireless at any point in time) as
> well…
>

> I’m not sure if I’m going to plug the 2nd router in to the ‘house wired
> network’, or if I’m going to plug both WiFi routers in to the Cisco (and
> then probably move the house wired to the cisco also), or what.
>

> So, thoughts on the best topology, and recommendations/’stay away
> warnings’ for WiFi routers please?
>

> Thanks!

Stephen