Re: Installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS problems

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS problems
My last experience with Asus and ubuntu was a disaster to be honest. I had
a really nice new-ish 2014 Asus UX laptop my company gave me from an old
exec then, and nothing but weird bios bugs related to the nvidia card, in
fact I couldn't even install without it freezing up every time graphically
(sound familiar?). Screwing with it for weeks, I had to use a non-desktop
install without a gui build to keep the nouveau driver from loading (I
probably used netboot install, or server), get an os on it, load the nvidia
binary drivers, update the bios, and pray it's better. The system was
still wrought with bugs though, weird crashes, lots of nvidia issues with
compositing, suspend issues, it was just... a nightmare to try and use. I
quit a short time later and happily gave it back to desktop team to install
some windoze version that probably worked just dandy with some bastard asus
drivers.

From that day on I spit when I hear asus and linux in the same sentence,
they are just not linux friendly in my experience, and never claim to be.
Dell shows linux specific love, so I tend to stay there as a result.

-mb