Re: Installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS problems

+ (text/html)
Author: Todd Cole
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS problems
download a fresh ubuntu 18.04.1 there was a bug for some intel boards. also
I find it easier to install with the nomodset option for some nvidia cards
then after install rub the addl hardware to install Nvidia drivers. since
the error listed nouveau that should take care of any issues

If you boot ubuntu from a livecd (or USB stick), right after the bios
splash screen you will get a purple screen with a keyboard logo at the
bottom:
Press any key at that moment to access a menu.
If you press the F6 key, a menu at the bottom will open allowing you to set
kernel options with the space bar or enter key. You can close the menu with
escape key and resume booting

If you need to add kernel options not provided by the F6 menu, you can just
type them in at the end of the boot options line.

Installfest is Saturday

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Stephen Elliott <>
wrote:

> I’m trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on an Asus UX501VW laptop, using
> the disk from Ubuntu Unleashed 2019 edition. I have updated the BIOS and
> some drivers using WIN 10.
>
> The first time I got a text menu and selected Install Ubuntu. After an
> hour and a half it wasn’t doing anything so I hard booted out.
>
> Now I get :
>
> GNU GRUB version 2.02
>
> Try Ubuntu without Installing
> Install Ubuntu
> OEM Install
> Check disk for errors
>
> I have tried all choices and get:
>
> FIRMWARE BUG TSC DEADLINE DISABLED due to Errata: please update microcode
> to version 0xb2 or later
> [ 7.165402 nouveau 0000:01:00.0 bus: MMIO read of 00000000 FAULT at
> 022544 [ IBUS ]
> [ 7.172390 nouveau 0000:01:00.0 bus: MMIO read of 00000000 FAULT at
> 10ac08 [ IBUS ]
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Stephen Elliott

Todd Cole