Re: Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Author: Matthew Crews
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18
On 9/4/18 7:12 PM, Brian Cluff wrote:
> On 09/04/2018 06:27 PM, Matthew Crews wrote:
>> as long as you stick with AMD or Intel graphics
>> drivers (Nvidia graphics don't play nice with it, or else I would be
>> using it too).
>
> I've had exactly the opposite experience with nvidia vs amd... unless
> you are speaking about only using the open source drivers, then yes, amd
> works better, but if you use the closed source drivers then I've found
> nvidia to be the card that just plain works for everything.

What I meant is that Nvidia closed source drivers and Plasma Desktop do
not play nice together. Unless there is a recent fix that I'm not aware
of. I had terrible screen rendering issues on Plasma 5.12 and Nvidia
closed source drivers. No such screen tearing was present when I used
Gnome, XFCE, or any other DE.

There are other minor quirks with Nvidia graphics that are irritating to
work with, however for the purposes of this email thread, I am not
advocating any specific graphics vendor except when discussing Plasma
Desktop.