Re: Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18

Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Debian 9 vs Ubuntu 18
On 09/04/2018 06:27 PM, Matthew Crews wrote:
> as long as you stick with AMD or Intel graphics
> drivers (Nvidia graphics don't play nice with it, or else I would be
> using it too).

I've had exactly the opposite experience with nvidia vs amd... unless
you are speaking about only using the open source drivers, then yes, amd
works better, but if you use the closed source drivers then I've found
nvidia to be the card that just plain works for everything.

I just recently bought a laptop with an AMD Radeon RX 580 on board and
while the graphics worked fine right out of the box it was a complete
nightmare getting a working openCL compute environment.  I've only
recently got it working, so up until about a week about I had been using
my 5 year old laptop instead because it had nvidia and just worked, even
though I've had the new computer for 4 months.

For Intel drivers I whole heatedly agree, they are great right out of
the box and just work, but intel graphics are quite a bit slower.

Brian Cluff