* new Linux kernel has a 'fix' for some value of 'fix'
* microsoft will force an update tonight
* a macos update from early December already has the fix
* AWS east will be doing reboots tomorrow
* AZURE will have extra reboots in the near future
* Google Android systems ( Nexus and Pixel ) have fixes available, but
might be mostly unaffected anyway
* tshirts available soon ;-)
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/ >
> In a nutshell, it is a major security flaw in Intel hardware dating back a decade that is requiring a complete kernel rewrite for every major OS (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc) in order to patch out. It cannot be patched out with a CPU microcode update. Major enough that code comments are redacted in the patches until an embargo period is expired. Also the reported fix will have a huge performance impact.
> Also crucial to note is that AMD chips are not affected by this.
> How the heck does something like this go unnoticed for so long?
> Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), Swiss-based encrypted email.