Re: Anyone here run their own email server for personal use…

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Anyone here run their own email server for personal use?
On 2017-12-16 09:24, Andrew McRobb wrote:
> I was thinking of running my own email server for personal use and
> maybe a PBX system using FreeSwitch (also to avoid spam phone calls)
> in my min-farm. Google surprisingly bad at detecting spam, and I know
> I could maybe throw together a simple SMTP setup perhaps using
> something already made or throw something together in Erlang. -- Just
> like the ability to control every aspect of the server, IMHO. Anyone
> have experience in this department, that could give me any tips?

Do not try to write an SMTP server from scratch. Doing it right is
very complicated. Install Postfix or Exim and use that. I have run
Postfix on my VPS for the last few years, it works pretty well, and the
configuration file is easy to understand and modify. Can put the
complete config in a tarball and send it to you as an example if you
want.

You'll also need to run qpopper or courier-imap or dovecot, which is a
separate topic, not quite as complicated, but may have a gotcha or two.
When I set that up, it was putting the mail in the wrong directory, and
it wasn't at all obvious how to make it do the right thing. I use
courier-imap to provide IMAP-over-SSL, and I usually get to this mail
account via roundcube (web mail client) or sometimes K9 Mail (android
mail client).

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity