Re: png or tiff

+ (text/html)
Author: Matthew Crews
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: png or tiff
Also from a FOSS perspective, PNG was built from the ground up as an open format. TIFF I think has opened up, but once upon a time it was patent encumbered to a degree, like GIF.

Upon further research I have learned that (at least in GIMP) you can save TIFFs using the same compression algorithm as PNG, and file size difference between the two will he negligible.

There may be some uses for saving pictures in TIFF format that I'm not aware of, I would do some research.

One important thing: most modern web browser support viewing PNG natively. Most web browser do NOT support TIFF, including the latest versions of Firefox and Chromium. If you want to post pictures on a website, PNG is the better choice.

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com), Swiss-based encrypted email.