Re: png or tiff

+ (text/html)
Author: Stephen Partington
To: Matthew Crews, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: png or tiff
I love PNG for many things. But when dealing with Raw portability sometimes
a Tiff is needed. The real challenge is what is your end goal and what are
you looking to do with it. I acutually use JPG to protect my images from
full theft because only i have access to the 100% RAW image. my Jpg's at
best go our as 80 of the original and at most 1/4th the resolution.
4000x6000 rendered to 1080x1920

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Matthew Crews <>
wrote:

> TIFF is basically a bitmap format (1 pixel = 1 byte per color value, so 1
> pixel = 3 bytes for a 24-bit image). TIFF does have a compression option,
>
> PNG is a lossless compression, not unlike a ZIP archive, but with an
> efficient compression algorithm. Though not a perfect analogy, 1 pixel <= 3
> bytes. PNG also supports an alpha layer (transparency), which isn't
> important unless you want it to be.
>
> For example, I just took a screenshot of my desktop. Screen resolution is
> 1920x1080 @ 32-bit, so 8,294,400 bytes of pixel information are required
> (1920x1080 pixels * 4 bytes per pixel (RGB values + alpha value)) . The
> corresponding PNG came out to 1,969,094 bytes, whereas an equivalent TIFF
> with built-in compression is 2,371,201 bytes. An uncompressed TIF is
> 8,294,843 bytes, slightly larger than the raw pixel information.
>
> There may be use cases where TIF is a better option, but for the lay
> person, PNG is better.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Matt
>

> Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.

Stephen