Re: BASH find Question

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: BASH find Question
Alex,

I think I am too lazy to find the patterns...;)

Anyway, I managed to solve the original problem a different way. The issue
that started me on this journey is that some of the .mkv files had been
converted, and my original one liner was failing:

find /media/plex/ -name "*.mkv" -exec ffmpeg -i {} -vcodec copy -acodec
copy {}.mp4 > fix-mkv.txt 2>&1 \;

That is why I went to a multi-line script to find mkv files that had a
corresponding mp4 file, and not convert those. Which brought me to the
limitation on find looking for files with special characters. It seems find
will 'find' them if the special characters are included in a wildcard, but
won't find them unless they are escaped.

I looked through the ffmpeg man page and found that a "-y" option, which
tells ffmpeg to always overwrite an existing file. My plex server has
nothing better to do than consume electricity, so it can convert mkv files
all day and night and overwrite already converted files without disturbing
anyone. My new one liner:

find /media/plex/ -name "*.mkv" -exec ffmpeg -i {} -y -vcodec copy -acodec
copy {}.mp4 > fix-mkv.txt 2>&1 \;

Once it finishes and there are no errors in the fix-mkv.txt file, I will

find /media/plex/ -name "*.mkv" -exec rm {} \;

and all the obnoxious mkv files will be gone with shiny new mp4 files in
their place!

Thanks for the offer to help! I know I can spend hours crafting regex
search patterns, and this issue really did not need that level of
sophistication. In this case, a blunt hammer worked just as well as a sharp
knife!

Mark

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Snyder, Alexander J <