Re: what sort of use cases/memory_needs/etc (was RE: Warran…

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: what sort of use cases/memory_needs/etc (was RE: Warranty!!?!?!?!?!)
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 17:08:35 -0700
Aaron Jones <> wrote:

> You know, the guy at the computer store told me I would never fill my
> 10gb hard drive.

My Kaypro 2x had two 170KB floppy drives. The twice-as-expensive Kaypro
4 had a hard disk --- I think 5MB. I asked myself: Why would one ever
need more than two 170's?

But yeah, I know what you mean: There's some real bloatware out there.
No matter how capable your machine, you can always find software to
bring it to its knees.

So what I do is I use Openbox as my user interface (and I might change
to the probably skinnier ctwm soon), never use Firefox, never use
Nautilus, and never use any KDE software or library. My 4 year old 16G
RAM 2core desktop is snappy as hell with that setup, and my 8GB 3 year
old HP 4core laptop is reasonable. My 2006 Acer laptop with 2GB RAM
runs just fine with this same setup.

By the way, I use Void Linux, which inits with Runit.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr