RE: Warranty!!?!?!?!?!

+ (text/html)
Author: Carruth, Rusty
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Warranty!!?!?!?!?!
Actually, comparing the Alienware that I bought vs a very similar one at System 76:

Alienware: 16G RAM, 4K display, 1T rotating drive, 128G SSD, I7-7700: List $2066, paid $1536
System76:  16G RAM, 1080P,         2T rotating drive, 512G SSD, I7-7700: list under $1500.

So, double the rotator size, 4x the SSD size, and remove the 4K display – and save around $500.  I’d say 76 isn’t bad, price-wise.  The primary reason I got the alien was because of the 4K and similar price (I did a side-by-side comparison at the store. 4K really is better, and when I got home and booted Linux on it – whoa!).  (Don’t know which video card they each had – I’m not going to be doing gaming (much?) so don’t care that much… I think)

Unfortunately, live booting the Mint 17.3 DVD resulted in no Ethernet or WiFi.  I’m downloading 18.2 now to see if that’s better, as a google search seems to imply it is.  But the display!  Oh, my goodness!

Oh, by the way – the alienware has only ONE ‘standard’ disk slot, but 3, yes THREE M.2 slots – one very short, the other 2 full-length.  And only 2 RAM slots.  Which is too bad – my Lenovo for work (17” also) has 2 standard slots and 2 M.2 slots (and 4 RAM slots) – I mean, its not like they don’t have ROOM, for goodness sake!  But then, the Lenovo was almost $3000.  Of course, it had a 1TB SSD as well as 16G of ram and the TOP video card…