Re: accessible web-authoring system

+ (text/html)
Author: Kaoru Wilbur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: accessible web-authoring system
Hi Eric ,

Since you are on the West side... Anyway, there are a few things we can
discuss here.
first... if you are interested in getting involved with the w3c group for
wcag ( Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) there are a couple of groups
you can join. The groups on W3c itself are closed to the public. If you
work for a certain organization that is listed as part of their community
effort, then, you can possibly get in. An easier way to contribute is to
join them on Github.
There is a w3c wcag and ARIA. Changes, edits, etc are done there for
standards.

As far as Drupal is concerned, I wasn't really impressed by their modules
relevant to accessibility. Of course, maybe I wasn't looking in the right
place but. Yea.

3rd party plugin tool.
One tool I use to check content for accessibility is Wave. This does a
pretty good check of accessibility items.

now, that being said, something that works during the html generation
process or html "writing" process would be nice. If you know of anything,
let me know.

I am also involved in a project that is a debian based distro .for
accessibility but that is a long time coming as the tools are seriously
lacking.
Those who have good tools charge a lot of money and I would personally like
to see more open source projects with regard to accessibility - like the
ones adafruit have listed that hans linked to earlier in this thread.

We really need better tools.
If you look at the tools listed in the W3c accessibility area, many are out
of date, obsolete, abandoned or not working.
For example, if you find a good tool for contrast - let me know.
There are some that are very simple. However, I think there could be much
better tools and utilities for accessibility.

Blind is definitely one are but there are many other visually impaired to
consider - that is where contrast comes in, right.