Re: mozilla 1.6 help

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: mozilla 1.6 help
> i am having a problem with mozilla that i just installed. hopefully
> someone can help.
>
> i signed on as root.
> i renamed the old mozilla file in usr/local/ from usr/local/mozilla to
> usr/local/mozillaold
> then i installed from CD the new mozilla to usr/local/mozilla which it
> created as part of the install.
> the install log said 'installed successfully' at the end of each long
> section of notes.
>
> now when i open mozilla and look at the release notes it still says
> mozilla 1.2.1 instead of 1.6.
> i want to run 1.6 because i can't use gmail with the old 1.2 program, it
> locks up.
>
> i shouldn't have to restart the computer should i? maybe that is the
> problem, but i was thinking that in linux i didn't have to do that each
> time i install a program.

First... I don't see a distro listed (helps to debug some issues).
Second:
Open a terminal
locate mozilla

See if there are more locations that mozilla is at and see if any of them are
ahead of /usr/local/bin as most distros put included packages in /usr/bin.

To check you can launch mozilla from the new location from the terminal by
typing the full path:
/usr/local/bin/mozilla-bin &