debian 2.6.8-1 kernel freezes with Adaptec SCSI U160 29160LP

+ (text/html)
Author: Sanjay Darisi
To: plug-discuss
Subject: debian 2.6.8-1 kernel freezes with Adaptec SCSI U160 29160LP

I've upgraded debian stable to debian testing on a IBM eserver. And upgraded kernel 2.4.18(woody) to 2.6.8-1 using apt-get. I've installed all the utilities required for running 2.6 kernel. And updated lilo with the appropriate information. After I rebooted, it just sits at the following message for ever.

initrd-tools: 0.1.74
vesafb: probe of vesafb0 failed with error -6
NET: Registered protocol family 1
SCSI: subsystem initialized
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0a.0[A]: no GSI -using IRQ 11
SCSI0: Adaptec AIC7xxx EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA driver, Rev 6.2.36
       <Adaptec 29160B Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
       aic7892: Ultra160 wide channel A, SCSI id=7, 32/253 SCBs

using anticipatory io scheduler

And it sits here waiting for something from the scsi card I guess. It works fine with the 2.4 kernel. Btw, Its a Adaptec U160 29160LP scsi drive. That is the only hard drive in the server so it won't boot now :-( Anybody here has any similar experiences with this kernel and the scsi card. Is there any option that I can give at the boot time (asking the driver to use may be deadline io??? or anything else??) to let it move on.

TIA,
Sanjay.

http://www.TechiesAbode.com/