Re: IPv6 Questions

Author: Rudolfo Munguia
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPv6 Questions
The Ethernet adapters you are currently using will have no problem
with IPv6 as the hardware see's only MAC addresses and the physical
line. And they would only be able to push the electrical signal from
30 to 100 meters depending on the card. Even if you have Optical Lan
Cards, they will usually only be able to reach about 2 kilometers
because they use commodity LED LASERS.

IPv4 and IPv6 are a logical layer on top of the hardware, so there are
no physical changes necessary. As far as your kernel, whether it is
BSD/Linux it normally comes with IPv6 already enabled. IPv6 uses a
discovery protocol to determine what it's local IPv6 subnet/mask and
default gateway, it can also handle basic routing on it's own. But
that doesn't add any speed to the actual transfer rate that you will
experience using IPv6.

The speeds you see listed in a lot of these articles coming out
recently are referring to the speed over the WAN or long haul
segments. Previously, due to the processing requirements of TCP/IP,
there were many problems pushing speeds above 622Mbs/OC12. Newer
ASIC's and VLSI's have allowed the industry to push TCP/IP over
2.5Gbps/OC48 and 10Gbps/OC192 with many companies looking to
40Gbps/OC768 in the future.

These speeds/circuits have been in use by the Telecoms for voice
circuits for many years as there is very low processing overhead
involved with circuit-switched voice communications. So they are
actually nothing new, it is just the fact that TCP/IP connections over
thousands of miles are now able to use the same speeds.

The best description I can give you of IPv6 (also called IPng) is RFC2460.

A good resource is www.rfc-archive.org.