Re: open office vs. ms word

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Free Infrastructure Software (FIS) [was Re: open office vs. ms word]
Subject: Re: open office vs. ms word
Am 24. Dec, 2004 schwätzte Trent Shipley so:

> Indeed! But remember what is REALLY critical about *.doc is not really the
> fact that it is standard, but that it is ubiquitous. Also a lot of "legacy"
> systems are dependent on it.
>
> Microsoft should be worried, it's whole Office Suite is horizontal software,
> ideal for coversion to free infrastructure (free as in "freeway"). There are
> a couple of problems despite the advantage of OO.o's incomparable advantage
> in initial cost of ownership. First, Word and the rest of MS Office are
> still noticeably better engineered, more robust, and feature rich than OO.o
> analogs. Second, if we consider licensing MS Office the primary cost of MS
> Office, gains in ICO are more than offset with losses from secondary costs
> from confused clerical staff struggling with conversion and broken software
> that expects to work with MS Office COM interfaces. Even in the rosiest
> scenario, it will take years to get MS Word down to 50% market share against
> a competitor with a price-point of $0.

Yes, it will likely take years for OO.o to capture a significant
percentage of the market. It is, however, growing and we're seeing some
success.

> Free:
>
> Free, as in beer. Gratis.
> Free, as in freedom. Libere.
> Free, as in freeway. Free infrastructure, contrast with toll road.

Not sure what you're implying here. Do you mean "free to use" formats? Or
is that part of what you're saying?

> Economically, the most important of these is "Free as in freeway".

ciao,

der.hans
#  C'est la Net - der.hans