Re: open office vs. ms word

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: open office vs. ms word
Eric \Shubes\ said:
> Kevin Brown wrote:
>> Trent Shipley wrote:
>>
>>> On Thursday 2004-12-23 12:00, Lee Einer wrote:
>>>

>>> Advantages of the *.doc interactive form:
>>>
>>> 1) We have Word, we have Word gurus, without additional training we
>>> can get to a prototype form in-house in 2-4 hours.
>>>
>>> 2) We can use the resulting file to produce hard-copy forms.
>>>
>>> 3) We can put the exact same form online and only an insignificant
>>> minority of users will be unable to access the form. The completed
>>> form can be returned online or printed by the user and returned as
>>> hard copy. Even if the form needs to be signed sophisticated users
>>> with scanners can return the form online (if the web builder allows
>>> for the option) or return the form as an email attachment.
>>>
>>> 4) The sophisticated office can accept online Word forms and
>>> automatically extract the values of the form's fields.
>>> Unfortunately, this will require the assistance of someone with IT
>>> expertise.
>>>
>>> WHAT A GREAT VALUE. Cheap to create, then you can use it everywhere,
>>> and everyone (Windows and Mac users) can access the results. In the
>>> worst case, a customer can request a faxed or snail mailed hard
>>> copy.

Just look at the points above. It is a great solution that allows a
create once, publish many utility. Except the Word format is closed (not
publicly documented) and proprietary (even beginning to included patents).
So, to participate (completely and legally) in this wonderfulness, one
must purchase a license.

I am pragmatic about a copyright holder's freedom with their code. If
they want to keep it closed, that is there choice. However, Keeping the
data format closed enforces more sales, can lock the user out of their own
data and helps maintain the monopoly.

Just think: If the format of the file that could do all of the above was
open, with many vendors creating tools (free software or closed) that use
the format, what would be the benefit? Low income people would not be
required to spend money as an entry fee to information exchange.
Incentive to infringe on copyright would be reduced. Charities and
governments could expend resources on other things instead of licenses for
themselves and for the people they serve. Competition on features,
quality and support would replace profit by force.

Then, I would agree that it is a great value.

>> I wouldn't completely agree with this last point. I had to support
>> Office on OSX and Windows and there were a number of files (word,
>> excel, powerpoint) that would open fine on the PC version, but not
>> the Mac and vice versa.

--[clip]--
> If the document is stored in Word's
> latest format, I'd argue that there are a significant number of Word
> users who couldn't open it using their present version of Word.

Exactly. Force user B to upgrade because they need the data from user A
and A just installed the new version. "Profit by social force."

Bah. Encourage use of openly documented, unencumbered formats. Then we
get the benefits Trent points out, without the risk of being locked out of
your data or having to spend money unless you choose to do so.

IMO.

Alan