Domain Name / Hosting

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Mar 23 15:09:14 MST 2016

I've looked at their email boxes.  Not a bad price.  They are marked pop
so I suspect doing IMAP is out.  I hosted with gd for years.  No
problems. It was using POP though.  I was using their cheapest Linux
hosting.  When I made my exit I had to upgrade to IMAP so I could take
my emails with me.  And maybe I just do not understand how to get emails
from one server to the next.

I do not have anything against pop.....

I do see they are competing with Digital Ocean with their "cloud
servers".

GoDaddy did merge with another company and they are changing.  I guess
Bob Parsons has retired.  Do not hear anything about him any longer.
Love or hate Bob you have to admit he has a knack for being
successful....

Maybe Godaddy is the new and improved GoDaddy and is much more kind a
gentle.... who knows.

On 2016-03-23 14:52, Michael Butash wrote:
> For me, GD has the most compelling mail offering at the cost.  Part of
> that is my account is still oddly screwed up from my employee account
> days that no one there has figured out how to remove a bunch of free
> services, including mail forwarders from my account in 10 years since
> I quit the first time.  Now they do unlimited storage on mail boxes,
> which is nice.
>
> Plus it's not google.  Nothing against google, I host my business
> stuff there for convenience, but I like the notion of NOT having my
> personal and business stuff in the same place.
>
> Same with dns hosting I find - anything else costs way more than I'm
> paying now across domains @GD.  Having quit working there twice (not
> so nicely), and having a general distaste for them these days as a
> whole, I'd rather not host anything there, but the cheap bastard in me
> won't let me escape yet.
>
> -mb
>

> On 03/23/2016 07:11 AM, Keith Smith wrote:
>>
>> Around 2006 I saw a picture of iPower's data center in LA and they had
>> lots of consumer grade boxes on shelves that they were selling as
>> stand alone hardware servers.  I could write a book about what I saw
>> and experienced at both GoDaddy and iPower, both tech and HR.
>>
>> The thing that is missing with all these VPS offerings is mail
>> servers.  We need inexpensive mailboxes.  I do not want to run a mail
>> server and have not found an affordable vendor (that also offers
>> decent VPS). I have several websites and would like to put them up on
>> a VPS (with ssd), let them do the DNS, which DigitalOcean does and
>> have the ability to buy mail boxes at $2/ea.  Rack space want you to
>> buy at least 5 boxes per domain. That adds $10/mo for each domain.  I
>> only need one or two email boxes for each domain.

Keith Smith