Ubuntu boot problems

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Oct 6 10:22:55 MST 2014

On 2014-10-06 09:47, Michael Butash wrote:
> I later realized the intel graphics would take over, even
> though probing the radeon, and really just annoyed me as it works
> great in a live cd, but couldn't get anything else to work properly

They're still working on getting everything properly supported with
those dual-graphics-card laptops.  The bits and pieces under the hood
apparently don't work quite the way they were described as working in
the specifications, which sometimes causes weird problems.

> Is it just me, or are all linux installers basketcases these days?

Gentoo's installer is still the same as it ever was!  :-P  Of course,
everyone seems to want an installer to be everything, do everything, and
support everything, and those things are not really possible.

(OTOH, I was impressed when a Gentoo install on a Macbook Pro detected
a Thunderbolt->display port adapter, saw the monitor, activated it, and
pulled up the KDE screen configuration utility which said "Display
configuration changed.  Is this how you'd like your screen set up?"  I
hadn't explicitly enabled anything like that anywhere, and wasn't
expecting it to work because of other people reporting problems with
Thunderbolt hotplugging under Linux.)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity