Ubuntu boot problems

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Oct 6 09:47:19 MST 2014

Sounds much like my weekend rebuilding my desktop after ati/amd graphics
driver upgrade apparently broke irrevocably my ability to boot with
debian in the initrd.  Even single-user would crash prior to boot.  :\

Oddly I found a live-cd of mint, fedora, or ubuntu would work ok happily
outputting across my 6 displays (with glx), but using the open-source
radeon driver after install I'd install/reboot to get that black screen
effect, seemingly crashing the kernel behind it.  Lots of reports of
"black screen radeon", not much how to fix it that worked for me.  I
later realized the intel graphics would take over, even though probing
the radeon, and really just annoyed me as it works great in a live cd,
but couldn't get anything else to work properly beyond.

Probably similar what you're seeing if you have an integrated graphics
and/or external video card.  Blacklisting the offender might work, but
seems odd I don't have this issue once the proprietary amd blob is loaded.

Side note - after cursing lmde for a few days, and finding fedora
install as broken as ubuntu/mint installers for raid/lvm setups, I tried
a netinstall of ubuntu 14.04 which surprisingly did NOT suck like even
their server iso's missing disk setup features.  Try that with a text
install, and just "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" after.

Is it just me, or are all linux installers basketcases these days?
Seems not...

-mb