networking down

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 00:21:52 MST 2012

Yeah.... I just checked and nothing appears to be blocked
How do I give you enough info,  Brian?

As for restarting the computer after the update I didn't really update it.
I burned an install disk and did a fresh install preserving /home.

As for the wireless chip it is a:
Ralink corp. RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

but it can't only be the card because the ethernet is not working either.
No Networking seems to have been setup.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> Not having enough info, here's my stab in the dark...
> Have you checked to see if the radio got turned off?
>
> To check, run as root:
> rfkill list all
>
> If it says they are soft blocked, just run:
>
> rfkill unblock all
>
> If it says they are hard blocked, then you have a switch on your laptop
> that got turned off, just turn it back on.
>
> Brian Cluff
>

> On 07/21/2012 12:07 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
>> Everything was working great on my laptop and then I up graded. Well,
>> everything ran great still for about a month but then I shut my computer
>> down and then the next day I start my computer again but as it is
>> booting am told 'waiting for network configuration...' Then 'Waiting up
>> to 60 more seconds for network configuration...' Then the login screen
>> appears. I login but the network is still down until I open a terminal
>> and type:
>>
>> ifconfig wlan0 up
>>

>> Well, The little blue networking light comes on when I type ifconfig but
>> no pages will load and I can't rsync so I guess it doesn't work still. I
>> know it isn't the card because another OS I have on the computer acts
>> normally when it is loaded.
>>
>> Could someone tell me what is going on?
>>
>> --