networking printer with brothers Windows machine.

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:57:46 MST 2011

I'm not surprised Apple isn't fond of linux.  They want people to buy
their hardware and their OS.  They want to control as much of the user's
experience as they can.  Look at how they restrict what someone can do
with an Iphone they own.  An Iphone owner has to have their phone
jailbroken so they can run the software on it they choose.  Apple
doesn't want users replacing the batteries in their iphone and ipads.
They're replacing the screws with ones they had custom made so you can't
find a screwdriver at the hardware store.  Follow the money.  There's
more money in it for them if you have to buy their hardware, their
software and can't even get the bloody thing open to replace a battery
without paying them to do it.

On 11/21/2011 10:08, Kevin Fries wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 09:54 -0700, Derek Trotter wrote:
>> So there shouldn't be any problem making the mac talk to everything
>> else on the network.  The mac uses samba.  The linux box does too.
>> The mac and the linux box understand cups.  Am I right in my
>> understanding that the Mac os is just BSD unix with the apple gui
>> running on top of it?
> Essentially,  So Mac will natively understand Cups and NFS.  Cups many
> years ago was maintained by HP (though for some reason it kills them to
> admit it), but was taken over by Apple.  Apple not only talks the open
> printing protocol, it is the corporate sponsor, last I saw, and
> therefore was essentially maintaining it.
>
> Apple system and Linux systems are in some ways very simpatico with one
> another, and in other ways very adversarial.  In a network environment,
> Apple prefers Apache for web serving, Postfix for mail delivery, and
> LDAP for central user authentication (though there is another central
> admin service, Apple generally prefers LDAP).
>
> Apple achieves this level of Linux harmony because at it heart, is a
> core derived from NextSTEP which was in turn derived from large portions
> of FreeBSD and NetBSD.  All the more reason why Apples antagonistic
> behavior torwards Linux is puzzling.  When going to battle in market
> dominance with Microsoft, you would thing they would do more to embrace
> its brother, not diminish it...  But a brother it is, and therefore,
> many of its systems come from the exact same parentage.
>
> Kevin

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or CC:. Also remove all of the addresses from the message body before forwarding the message. These simple measures prevent spy programs from capturing the addresses shown in the recipient list and the message body.