ethernet wiring

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Nov 20 12:31:43 MST 2011

First off, you shouldn't need to strip the wires when putting them into
the jack,  The jacks are designed to cut through the shielding and make
a connection directly though the shielding.  In fact, I'll bet that the
connections are much more likely to corrode if you strip them first.

As for the color sequence.  They change a bit depending on what style of
jack you have and how much the wires twist inside the jack itself.  Just
go ahead and wire up the jack in the color order that the jack dictates
and it shouldn't matter if they are in different physical orders on the
back of the jack.

As for the Jack that shows yellow brown white red etc... It sounds like
you got a hold of an rj45 based telecom jack.  I would take that back
and get one that is made for networking.  You could probably get it to
work just fine if you can figure out the correct wiring order, but why
not do it right in the first place...

Brian