Copy to smb share

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat May 14 19:05:13 MST 2011

James way works well if you only have to do this once.

If you want to copy files to the smb share regularly (I would assume that given the uri you specify), then installing smbfs (e.g. apt-get install smbfs) and mounting the smb share on a convenient directory (e.g. mount -t smbfs //my-airport-extreme.local/drobo/folder/ /home/shares/drobo/folder/) makes the share part of your file system.
Once you have the share mounted, it's  as simple as "cp somefile.ext /home/shares/drobo/folder/".

Once you have it mounted and working, don't forget to add it to /etc/fstab so it's mounted by the system when you're connected to the home network:
    *example* line for /etc/fstab, note the uid and gid parameters, which should be your user uid/gid to make access easy.
//my-airport-extreme.local/drobo/folder/    /home/shares/drobo/folder/    smbfs    file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755,uid=####,gid=####,credentials=/etc/my-drobo-user.creds,rw    0    2

The file "/etc/my-drobo-user.creds" is needed if the share requires a username/password and you're not running a Domain Controller or Active Directory service on the network.
This credentials file is owned root:root and file mode 400 for security; it contains the user/password/workgroup for your drobo share in plain text:
username=SOMETHING
password=SOMETHING
workgroup=SOMETHING

I know that's not the safest thing in the world, but I find it works well enough for most home users.

Once that's there, if you find it's not connected, then you can just "sudo mount /home/shares/drobo/folder/" to re-establish the connection.