visualization question

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Sun May 8 08:02:33 MST 2011

The admin tools are also free. You just miss the server to server migration
and solar features
 On May 8, 2011 12:58 AM, "Joseph Sinclair" <plug-discussion at stcaz.net>
wrote:
> VMWare Player is free-as-in-beer, but it only *runs* the virtual machine.
> You generally need some other tool to *create* the virtual machine, and
for anything other than relatively simple use, the administrative controls
in VMWare Player are very limited.
> For more control, and the ability to create virtual machines most people
end up purchasing VMWare Workstation, which is around $70 at retail last I
checked.

> For advanced administrative options (particularly for complex requirements
and/or large numbers of virtual machines on multiple servers), the VMWare
enterprise tools are generally needed, and those get very costly.

> The primary advantage of VirtualBox is that it is both free-as-in-beer and
free-as-in-freedom (the open source edition, virtualbox-ose), and the tools
to manage it are included.
> VirtualBox is great for running a few occasional VM's on a well-equipped
home computer.

> For more advanced and complex environments (such as large corporate VM
deployments), F/LOSS software is still playing a bit of catch-up with VMWare
enterprise tools, but it's getting there.
> For Hybrid (i.e. private/public) cloud deployments F/LOSS is actually way
ahead of the proprietary alternatives, but that's also an area large
enterprises are just starting to explore.

> On 05/08/2011 12:00 AM, Dan Lund wrote:
>> Forgive me for being pedantic on this one, but... what do you mean by
limited by the admin tools and custom hardware options?

plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>